Many CONservative morons indulge their fantasies about living in a feudal world based on the belief that they can get away with it. This delusion is partly based on the belief that the ancient empires were stable and peaceful- when the reality is closer to continuous conflict, strife, wars and uprisings. Consider how many kings in the past (any empire/kingdom/dynasty) died of natural causes, as opposed to murder, war, rebellion or other ‘unnatural causes’.
The idea that the underclass just accepted their shitty lives without complaining or revolting is not supported by historical records.
There were however a few factors that mitigated the worst of such uprisings or revolts. The people were largely illiterate so plans and schemes could not travel easily over large distances. Most of them had families and lived in small community that enforced conformity. Technology or the lack thereof reduced the ability of people to kill or hurt others.
Today things are somewhat different.. and allow occurrences which were hitherto inconceivable.
The potential of things going to hell is far higher in a technologically advanced and atomized society for reasons that I will briefly list below-
1. Information travels in multiple conduits in far larger quantities with much lower latency than at any time in human history.
2. Family, religions and institutions are no longer the biggest influences and sources of information for individuals.
3. Society is increasingly atomized and people are no longer tied to the milieu and society they were born in.
4. The composition of the underclass today is different from that throughout most of human history.
5. Traditional institutions and obligations such as marriage and kids increasingly don’t figure in the lives of men.
While 2. and 5. have occurred before, albeit on a smaller scale- 1., 3. and 4. have no parallel in history. It is however the rather peculiar linkage between 3. and 4. that make things especially interesting. The underclass today is just as likely to be a 40-something divorced guy fired from a well-paying job in a chemical plant as a guy born to a single mother on welfare. You can see what I am talking about..
Historically literate people with technical jobs, specialized training or experience were seldom part of the underclass. Even those who were poor were part of extended familial networks. To put it another way- those who could fuck things up rarely had the reason or freedom to do so. Today they have reasons, the freedom and technology to make things interesting.
Whatever might happen in the future when this underclass undergoes “austerity” is likely to be uncoordinated but linked. Yes.. actions can lack coordination but still be linked.