I have, in few of my previous posts, written about the link between gross income inequality and the rise of populist tyrants. However few people dare to honestly answer the next logical question-
How can these populist tyrants get away with policies that are clearly genocidal? Don’t their murderous followers have no heart?
All populist tyrants start with genocides against the petty tyrants of the old system. It is no coincidence that police, judges, other officials, bankers, merchants and bureaucrats of the previous regime are always the first to end up in ‘work’ camps and mass graves.
Petty tyrants are easy pickings for a few reasons-
1. There are enough of them to keep a murderous crowd happy for a long time.
2. They represent the face of the previous regime.
3. People know where they live and work.
4. They lose a lot of power after the old regime falls.
5. They are too tainted to incorporate on a large scale in the new regime.
6. Their previous ‘masters’ discard them at the first sign of doom.
Once you understand these simple, and rather obvious facts, it is easy to see why petty tyrants from the old regime end up in mass graves with such regularity. Indeed, most populist tyrants would never come to power in the first place if petty tyrants understood their limitations.
Ask yourself- If there was a free for all tomorrow, wouldn’t people who represent the public face of the current system end up dead at a disproportionately higher rate than say.. people with average jobs?